NIKOLA TESLA'S FBI FILES
Complete summary of relevant information found in the 96 pages
(107 including the FBI deleted page sheets)
of Enclosure # II of my Freedom of Information Act (FOIA)
request of the Nikola Tesla FBI files.
Page numbers are sequential from the title sheet to the end
as received from the FBI.
The XXXXXX seen on some pages indicate material has been
blacked out, some pages were %90 black !
- 1- .....Title sheet.....Nikola Tesla....References....96 Pages
- 2- .....Feb./12/1937 | ? | J.E Hoover |
Summary-Tesla's possible involvement in unexplained plane crashes.
- 3- .....cont.-2
- 4- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 6 pages deleted (b)(1)
- 5- .....Jan/11/1943 | FBI Wash. DC. | FBI-Mr. Ladd |
Summary- Memo about Tesla's death Jan/7/1943. Sava Kosanovich
and George Clark and Kenneth Sweezey with a locksmith opened
Tesla's safe on Jan/7/1943 asking what action to take.
- 6- .....Jan/21/1943 | FBI-memo | J.E. Hoover |
Summary- Memo info that Kosanovich might give Tesla info to the
enemy. Bureau files reveals considerable info concerning
Tesla and his inventions and Tesla was a speaker at a meeting
on June/4/1922 of Friends of Soviet Russia.
- 7- .....Cont.-6
- 8- .....Mar/19/1943 | FBI-E.E Conroy | J.E. Hoover |
Summary- Kosanovich matter was now handled as an Alien Enemy
Custodial Detention matter and case is considered closed.
- 9- .....Mar/29/1943 | FBI memo | FBI memo |
Summary- Abe Spanel explaining who Tesla was and his
importance. Bloyce Fitzgerald was Tesla's secretary.
- 10- Cont.-9
- 11- .....Jul./17/1943 | FBI-memo | FBI-memo |
Summary- Info about a woman that his info about Tesla's safe
being opened. But did not follow up because the FBI closed
- 12- .....none | FBI-memo | FBI-Mr.Ladd |
Summary- The before mentioned woman be interrogated!
- 13- .....Oct./17/1945 | FBI-memo | FBI-memo |
Summary- Talks of the death ray and Spanel was trying to get
Tesla's papers. Spanel was boyhood friend of Bloyce
Fitzgerald who is a 29 year old Army Private at Wright Field
,Dayton Ohio. Bloyce Fitzgerald knew of Tesla's secret
experiments and had developed an anti-tank gun.
- 14- .....cont.-13 Spanel got Bloyce Fitzgerald a job at Higgens Ship
Bloyce Fitzgerald was fired in Sep/1944 .At present Bloyce
Fitzgerald is director of secret project at Wright Field though he
is an Army Private? Working on death ray. Mentions a Sep/22/1940
NY Times article about death ray. Spanel is pro-Russian, Kosanovich
in Yugoslavia with a government job.
- 15- .....cont.-14 Spanel definitely a communist. Fitzgerald contacted Henry
Ford for funding. Tesla had performed experiments at Pikes Peek
using the suns rays to build up a huge electrical energy. Bloyce
Fitzgerald said the whole earth could have free electricity.
- 16- .....cont.-15 Tesla's 75 packing cases and trunks at NY. Charlotte Muzar
Kosanovich's agent is paying rent. Sweezey is editor of Popular
Science Magazine. Others at opening of safe.
- 17- .....Jan/29/1943 | John G. Trump | Walter Gorsuch |
Summary- Trump had looked at Tesla's stuff at the Alien Property
Custodian on Jan/26-27/1943. Did not look at trunks.
They had been in basement of hotel for ten years unopened. He found
NO scientific notes.
- 18- .....cont.-17 Tesla was only speculative in old age.
- 19-24-.....cont.-18 People at inventory proceedings. Some of them from Navy
intelligence. A not very complete inventory of holdings at the Alien
All these pages must be reviewed as they are summaries them selves.
- 25-35-.....A long list and profile of persons associated with Nikola Tesla.
- 36- .....June/ 8/1949 | FBI Memo | FBI Memo |
Summary- Sava N.Kosanovic Yugoslav Ambassador took possession of
Tesla's files, later turned them over to Alien Enemy Custodian.
- 37- * Apr/ 3/1950 | FBI Memo D.M. Ladd | FBI Director |
Summary- Sava Kosanovic contacts FBI to get the microfilm copies
of Tesla's papers. Army may have copied them in 1945. Bloyce
Fitzgerald's name fits the blacked out area ! October 1945 ______
and 3 Army members went to NY FBI office to get help to get
papers from Alien Property Custodian. FBI said no.
- 38- .....Cont.-37
- 39- **.....Apr/17/1950 | FBI Memo SAC, NY | FBI Director |
Summary- FBI interviewed J.V.Potts, VP of Manhattan Storage Co.
NY. The Tesla items stored there were viewed only once Jan/26-
27/1943. Michael King, floor manager where Tesla's items were
stored, stated the people took numerous photographs and had
microfilm equipment. Some of the people wore US Navy uniforms and
during the two day examination, other assistants were referred to
only as "Federal Authorities".
- 40- .....Cont.-38 investigation closed.
- 41- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 4 pages deleted (b)(1)
- 42- .....Aug/20/1976 | FBI Memo SAC, Buffalo | FBI Director |
Summary- Info about the Tesla Monument being unveiled at Niagara
- 43- .....Aug./20/1976 | FBI Memo | FBI Memo |
Summary- More info about the Tesla Monument. 1,000 people there.
- 44- .....Cont.-43 reference Niagara Falls Gazette articles about event.
- 45- .....Cont.-44 reference Niagara Falls Gazette articles about event.
- 46- .....Cont.-45 reference Niagara Falls Gazette articles about event.
- 47- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 6 pages deleted (b)(1)
- 48- .....July/7/1975 | Unknown | FBI Dir.C.M. Kelly |
Summary- Director Kelly responding to a request for Tesla's
papers. Told them FBI didn't have any.
- 49- .....Feb./ /1943 | Unknown | Unknown |
Summary- Copy of a newsletter about Slav and Czechoslovak
interest during the war. Many names checked off copies.
Tesla there too.
- 50- .....Cont.-49 newsletter article.
- 51- .....Cont.-50 newsletter article.
- 52- .....Cont.-51 newsletter article.
- 53- .....Cont.-52 newsletter article.
- 54- .....Cont.-53 newsletter article.
- 55- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 1 pages deleted (b)(2)
- 56- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 4 pages deleted
- 57- .....Jun/23/1984 | FBI Memo | FBI Memo |
Summary- Info about the magazine "The Slavic American"
- 58- .....Cont.-57 table of contents for "Slavic American" magazine.
- 59- .....Cont.-58 table of contents for "Slavic American" magazine.
- 60- .....Cont.-59 table of contents for "Slavic American" magazine.
- 61- .....Cont.-60 table of contents for "Slavic American" magazine.
- 62- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 4 pages deleted (b)(1),(2)
- 63- .....Winter/1947 | Unknown | Unknown |
Summary- Cover of" The Slavic American" magazine.
- 64- .....Cont.-63 article in magazine about Tesla.
- 65- .....Cont.-64 article in magazine about Tesla.
- 66- .....Cont.-65 article in magazine about Tesla.
- 67- .....Apr/11/1949 | FBI Memo SAC, NY | FBI Director |
Summary- Memo attached to two copies of Slavic American
- 68- .....Fall/1948 | FBI Memo SAC, NY | FBI Director |
Summary-cover of the magazine Slavic American.
- 69- .....Cont.-68 article by Louis Adamic about the American way of life.
- 70- .....Cont.-69 article by Louis Adamic about the American way of life.
- 71- .....Cont.-70 article by Louis Adamic about the American way of life.
- 72- .....Cont.-71 article by Louis Adamic about the American way of life.
- 73- .....Cont.-72 article by Louis Adamic about the American way of life.
- 74- .....Nov./13/1943 | FBI Case sheet | Unknown |
Summary- Blacked out case sheet ? a date of July 17,1943 ?
- 75- .....Cont.-74 I think this page must be an attachment to page 74 and
has Sava Kosanovic tried to get Tesla's papers. One informant
said Sava was pro-Axis. The Bureau advised by letter of Jan 21,1943
that it's files revealed confidential information concerning
Nikola Tesla and his inventions and advised that one Nicola Tesla
who might be identical with Nikola Tesla, made a speech in
Springfield, Mass on July 4,1922 under the auspices of the friends
of Soviet Russia.
- 76- ***..Jan/30/1950 | FBI Memo L.B. Nichols | Mr. Tolson |
Summary-These next three pages are too important to be summarized,
so they are entered mostly as is. The XXXXXXX will indicate areas
blacked out by the FBI.
XXXXXXX called yesterday and said he wanted to see me.
I asked him (?) if there was anything special he wanted to discuss.
He said yes two things.
1. The case of Nikola Tesla and Abraham N. Spanel, XXXXXXXXXXXX
Our files reflect that Nicola Tesla was one of the world's
outstanding scientist and in fact designed the generators installed
at Niagara Falls. He died in New York on January 7, 1943, and is
supposed to have left details and plans for a so-called death ray.
Our files also reflect that Colonel Erskine of Military Intelligence
called us on Jan. 9,1943, advising that Tesla had died, that A. Spanel
had communicated with the War Department regarding this death, that
Tesla had a nephew named Sava Kosanovich who had taken possession of
Tesla's papers and Spanel thought the papers might be used against our
We made an immediate inquiry in New York and the first report was
that Kosanovich and others entered Tesla's room with the aid of a
locksmith, broke into a safe containing some of Tesla's valuable
papers and formula.
Coincident with this, on Jan. 8, L.M.C. Smith called Mr. Tamm
regarding the death of Tesla and Smith stated he was talking to
the Alien Property Custodian about seizing these items.
We interviewed Spanel who expressed concern over Tesla's effects
and Spanel stated that Kosanovich had turned over the effects of
Tesla to the Alien Property Custodian. Spanel further stated the
day BEFORE Tesla died, he tried to get in touch with the War
Department to make available certain patents.
- 77-***.....Cont.-76 In 1945, we talked to a Private Bloyce Fitzgerald,
who stated he had been associated with Tesla, and that the Army
believed that Tesla's death ray is the only defense against the
It was very clear we had no responsibility for Tesla's effects,
that the Alien Property Custodian seized them and we learned
later that Naval authorities made microfilms of all his papers.
Kosanovich communicated with the Bureau on March 29, 1950, and
under date of April 3, 1950, in response to his request for the
microfilms of the papers of Tesla, who was a relative of
Kosanovich, we advised Kosanovich that this Bureau had never
been in possession of Tesla's papers.
Senator XXXXXXX furnished the Bureau five communications
received from a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX which pertained primarily
to Abraham Spanel. This individual mentioned the FBI at length
in these communications, pointing out that Mr. Foxworth had
called in on the Tesla case but was killed shortly thereafter.
He further stated that he was associated with Fitzgerald and as
such came in touch with Tesla. He stated the FBI investigated
this matter but their hands were tied, that there was nothing
the FBI could do as they had been stopped from a higher level,
that XXXXXXXXXXX the FBI agent he dealt with, resigned and
requested XXXXXXXXXXXXX never to discuss the matter with him
again, that he had a wife and family to consider and that the
last hope was Congress. These communications were furnished to
the Department on September 19, 1950.
- 78-***.....Cont.77-We did have an Agent XXXXXXXXXXXXXX who entered on
duty XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX resigned XXXXXXXXXXXX(3 lines)
The file does not indicate that we have ever interviewed XXXXX
on the basis of XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX allegations.
I think we should see what specifics XXXXXX wants. I think we
can tell him on the Tesla papers the Alien Property Custodian
was going to seize the papers and that we learned Spanel had
called the War Department about the papers falling into the
wrong hands. XXXXXXXXXX(10 lines)
- 79- .....Aug 30,1946 | D.M. Ladd | E.G. Fitch |
Summary 50% of this page is blacked out.
A note concerning information from Colonel Grombach,
special intelligence, War Dept. about XXXXXXXXX and his mistress.
XXXXX Nikola Tesla, residing in Cleveland, Ohio.
- 80- .....Jun 11,1952 | Washington Field Office | Bureau |
Summary 90% blacked out. XXX subject in interview and signed
statement says XXX (?). Espionage-R
- 81- .....Cont.80-Blacked out 95%. XXXXX History prior to entering
the US XXXXX
- 82- .....Cont.81-Blacked out 80%. XXXXX wanted to meet Tesla to help
Yugoslav progress in engineering and equipment
- 83- .....Cont.82-Blacked out 80%. XXXXX says Kosanovic would be effect
Ambassador because he was Tesla's nephew and knew Mayor LA Guardia.
- 84- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 2 pages deleted (b)(1)
- 85- .....Mar 28,1960 | Washington Field Office | Bureau |
Summary Loyalty of employees of the United Nations and Other
List of 10 references dated 1960 ?
- 86- .....Cont.85-Blacked out 95%. XXXXX has been interviewed.
- 87- .....Cont.86-Blacked out 99%. XXXXX was interviewed Jun 7, 1947
by SAs of Chicago office.
- 88- .....Cont.87-Blacked out 80%. page almost identical to 83.
- 89- .....?.?.1942 | From ? | To ? |
Summary This page shows the photocopy of the title page of the
book /Current Biography/
- 90- .....Cont.89- This is a photocopy of a page from the /Current
Biography/ which has Nikola Tesla noted as the inventor of the
Death Beam !
- 91- .....Mar 13, 1948 | Director FBI | SAC New York |
Summary Memo states a copy of the /Plain Truth/ is attached.
- 92- .....Cont.91- Photocopy of two pages from the /Plain Truth/
Story is about the Red Ambassador, Sava Kosanovich.
- 93- .....Cont.92- Photocopy of two pages from the /Plain Truth/
Story was authored by Bogdan Raditsa
- 94- .....Cont.93- Photocopy of one page from the /Plain Truth/
Story says Kosanovich is ambassador of a puppet state in
- 95- .....Feb 20, 1945 | From XXXX | To XXXX |
Summary Memo about a newspaper article in a Serbian paper.
- 96- .....Cont.95- Blacked out 50%. Talks of the ownership of the
- 97- .....Cont.96- More info on the newspaper, how they intend to
- 98- .....Nov 7, 1947 | SAC, Pittsburgh | Director, FBI |
Summary Memo of the speech that Kosanovich gave to the 2nd.
Serbian Congress Oct 26 in Pittsburgh, Pa.
- 99- .....Cont.98- More text of the speech by Kosanovich,
- 100- .....Cont.99- More text of the speech by Kosanovich,
- 101- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 3 pages deleted (b)(7)(C)(D)
- 102- .....May 8, 1945 | SAC, Pittsburgh | Director, FBI |
Summary Blacked out 50%.Memo about a radio repair man installing
a Hammerlund H.Q. receiver #120X at the home of XXXXXXX. The radio
was purchased under high priority and once belonged to Tesla's son.
- 103- .....Aug 20, 1946 | Washington DC | Bureau |
Summary Blacked out 20%.Memo about a story in the Washington Post
relative to an interview with Sava Kosanovic. War over Trieste.
- 104- .....Cont.102- another story in the Evening Star about Kosanovic
New Envoy Disclaims Any Yugoslav Plans for Coup at Trieste.
Goes on to state Kosanovic is the nephew of Nikola Tesla.
- 105- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 2 pages deleted (b)(1)
- 106- .....FBI deleted page sheet...indicates 4 pages deleted (b)(1)
- 107- .....Nov 18, 1942 | Indianapolis, Indiana | Bureau |
Summary Memo concerning the American Slav Congress and info
entitled /News Flashes from Czechoslovak under Nazi Dominations.
******************* END *****************